Business Systems Analyst
Ostara Nutrient Recovery Technologies Inc. designs, builds and sells a new generation of water treatment systems – a nutrient recovery solution that creates value from waste by removing nutrients from wastewater and transforming them into revenue-generating, environmentally-friendly commercial fertilizer. Along with helping wastewater treatment facilities reduce operating costs and meet increasingly stringent environmental regulations, Ostara’s proprietary Pearl® Nutrient Recovery Process recovers and transforms critical nutrients such as phosphorus and nitrogen into Crystal Green®, a slow-release fertilizer that Ostara markets and sells, providing cost savings and a new stream of revenue for municipalities.
A Business System Analyst provides project coordination, functional expertise, and contributes to improvements and enhancements for all of Ostara’s business IT systems and processes.
The Business System Analyst is responsible for serving as a liaison between the different functional stakeholders and technical resources to manage the development of new system functionality, upgrades, system modifications, and day-to-day problem analysis, issue tracking, and resolution. This position requires that the Business Analyst is involved in all phases, from report writing and database queries to project management and supervising vendors.
The position is full time and based in Ostara’s head office in downtown Vancouver. Ostara is a growth stage company with a dynamic environment. We are looking for someone who is adaptable to change, working with a variety of people, while bringing the technical skills and experience relevant to this position.
Nature of Work
This is a professional information technology and business analysis position supporting
Ostara’s business systems, such as Sage X3 ERP, CRM, SharePoint, Time tracking, ticketing and PRISM. This position reports to the CIO but will work closely with the VP Finance and other stakeholders in each of the business areas of Ostara.
The primary duties of this position include business systems optimization and analysis, project management, workflow analysis, and technical communication. The Business System Analyst may be viewed as a “subject matter expert” on specific modules within one or more of Ostara’s business systems. The nature of this work requires an individual whose background combines functional expertise and business management skills with an understanding of information technology and specific knowledge of the assigned enterprise-wide software and modules. This position requires problem solving and analytical skills, and the ability to communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical users. This position requires an ability to manage multiple tasks, respond quickly to emergent problems, and to focus both on long-range projects and immediate tasks required to maintain system functionality.
The Business System Analyst is a liaison among the stakeholders and is responsible to ensure that there is consensus among the key stakeholders. The Business System Analyst is responsible for identifying the business need for a change by performing an enterprise analysis. The Business System Analyst will recommend solutions based on whether that solution will meet the needs and requirements of the stakeholders. Upon approval, the candidate will be hands on in the implementation, working with stakeholders and consultants. On identification of a project, the job of the Business System Analyst typically starts before the project begins and finishes after the project ends.
The following list provides examples of the most typical duties for this position:
- Support end users in all business functions, in the use of ERP and other Ostara business system applications.
- Lead the implementation of new ERP modules along with software upgrades and testing.
- Review business needs and use system knowledge to provide workable solutions to business needs.
- Design a detailed description of user needs. Work with technical resources to develop, test, and document software in order to implement and maintain an operational system.
- Serve as project coordinator on enterprise-wide development projects, including development of the project plan, monitoring and reporting on project progress, and advising managers and stakeholders of potential project delays or resources required to complete the project on a timely basis.
- Prepare time and cost estimates for completing projects.
- Direct and coordinate the work of others to develop, test, install, and modify programs on a project basis.
- Coordinate and collaborate with functional users and IT staff to find solutions to problems identified in testing, resolve issues during systems upgrades, ensure that requirements documentation is easily translated into functional test plans, and ensure that proper testing of all systems functionality is completed.
- Prepare workflow charts and diagrams to specify in detail business processes supported by enterprise systems.
- Develop effective reporting tools needed to support the business unit information requirements.
- Establish database and application configurations, standards, guidelines and quality assurance for systems development deliverables such as conceptual design, usability, external data interface requirements, data loading, maintenance plans, and security policy.
- Work across multiple projects and support day to day work.
The successful candidate may be required to work out of hours for support periodically should the situation arise. It is likely that from time to time some International travel will be required.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
· This position requires a Bachelor's degree in information technology, business/operations analysis or a related field, with ten years of experience in related positions; or a Master's degree in directly related fields
· Strong proficiency with ERP applications with preference for knowledge of Sage X3 ERP, CRM; as well as proficiency with SharePoint, Time tracking, and ticketing applications
· Relevant experience in business analysis and change management in a supply chain, engineer to order projects and manufacturing environment
· An accounting diploma/designation or comparable experience previously working with an accounting group
· Must have excellent analytical skills, effective written and oral communications skills, effective negotiation skills and strong interpersonal skills
· Strong oral & written communication, results oriented, excellent attention to detail with effective organizational skills and ability to prioritize and problem solve.
· Ability to develop and maintain good relationships with customers, employees, and able to work independently and in a team environment.
To Apply: Please forward your resume to Anna Shojania , Senior Partner and Search lead.