The Systems Engineer - GIS role is now Filled!!! LandSure Systems Ltd. (LandSure) is a technology-driven organization providing innovation, project management, communication, and technology services to the Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia (LTSA). A wholly-owned subsidiary of the LTSA, LandSure operates as part of a unique business model to support the continued growth of the LTSA and its services.
This is a rare opportunity to join an award winning team of experts working on a broad range of interesting and challenging projects on a provincial-wide system that recently won international awards. If you are looking for a stimulating role that impacts millions of people, and a rewarding compensation package that includes a bonus, comprehensive benefits, a retirement plan, and work-life balance, then LandSure is the opportunity worth exploring.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Reporting to the Director, ParcelMap BC Operations and working closely with the ParcelMap BC Fabric Operations team, Technical Operations teams, and Surveyor General staff, the Systems Engineer - GIS will be the enterprise geospatial systems subject matter expert, contributing to specifying, configuring, testing, maintaining, operating and improving systems, including those supporting fabric compilation and maintenance and stakeholder interfaces. This will require working closely with the ParcelMap BC contractor team building the technology and parcel fabric for ParcelMap BC to ensure a complete working solution is delivered.
The Systems Engineer – GIS will be LandSure’s enterprise geospatial systems and operational GIS expert, helping ensure ParcelMap BC meets our standards and serves our stakeholders’ needs through innovative use of GIS technology.
1. Support ParcelMap BC and related systems as they transition through development, testing, acceptance and into operations and ongoing maintenance. By providing deep technical knowledge and support to technical operations team and parcel fabric operations team the Systems Engineer – GIS is responsible for:
· Maintaining the integrity of the system design and compliance with the requirements,
· Assisting the test programs (both systems and fabric) as they define how the system and data is tested and accepted,
· Working collaboratively with the other internal LTSA teams, as well as the build contractor to solve problems and remove roadblocks,
· Assisting the business and operations teams in accepting the system and transitioning to operations,
· Communicating with the business as the system and change management needs evolve, including identifying opportunities for system improvements and optimizations.
2. Establish and demonstrate ownership in all phases of the life-cycle for a large geospatial software system through:
· Analysis of required system performance and life cycle support,
· Identifying the detailed technical artifacts used to establish baselines,
· Analysis and development of capability requirements at the customer-level,
· Modelling of business processes, rules, and workflow.
3. Leverage practical experience of the geospatial data techniques and technologies involved in supporting the digital cadastre and land title registry domains, including:
· Geospatial data management, reference frameworks, and transformations,
· Assisting and advising on spatial data analysis, operations and representations.
4. Work closely with the Fabric Operations team, Surveyor General team, LTSA Technology Operations team, and Land Title E-business team to help ensure the success of the PMBC project and its ongoing operational success and viability, which involves understanding:
· Problem space and the degree of change within the organization,
· Vision and business case for the overall solution,
· Priorities, constraints and stakeholder needs the overall system solution must address,
· Opportunities for improvements and system enhancements to address evolution of business requirements beyond baseline specifications.
5. Work collaboratively with the PMBC build contractor to ensure that the solution is fit for business and completed on schedule.
6. Support project leadership to ensure that PMBC is delivered within budget and schedule.
Education and Experience:
• Master’s Degree in Geomatics, Geographic Information Systems, or systems engineering (or equivalent);
• 7+ years’ professional GIS experience with an emphasis on systems engineering;
• Enterprise-level geospatial systems knowledge and experience;
• Experience working on a complex multi-year project team tasked with the delivery of a new enterprise IT system or technology preferred;
• Experience compiling and maintaining a parcel fabric is considered desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Extensive knowledge of fundamental GIS concepts and industry standards with an expert understanding of Esri ArcGIS products (desktop and server), and Safe Software FME Server technologies;
• Experience building, maintaining and improving (reliability, maintainability, availability, and security) enterprise technology systems;
• Experience with high-availability systems, deployed within an enterprise client/server architecture, supporting large volumes of geospatial data and complex business rules;
• Practical experience with geospatial data management and spatial database management systems, especially as it relates to understanding how the data can serve business needs;
• Strong analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities;
• Knowledge of British Columbia’s survey systems and cadastre would be an asset;
• Advanced SQL knowledge developingand optimizing complex spatial queries;
• UNIX, PostgreSQL or LINUX knowledge would be preferred;
• Software scripting skills, preferably using Python;
• Strong written and oral communication skills, with ability to present ideas clearly and concisely;
• Strong interpersonal skills with a natural ability to work with and support colleagues, ability to adapt to and work effectively with contractors and co-workers with different styles and levels of technical knowledge;
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment.
The LTSA operates critical systems that underpin BC’s private property market, civil justice system, taxation and Crown land management frameworks. Ensuring we hire properly qualified and suitable candidates is necessary for the programs and activities of the LTSA and LandSure. As part of our hiring process, we will request that a candidate supply certain personal information so that we may conduct identity, reference, education and credential verification, and criminal record checks. Credit bureau inquiry checks may also be conducted for certain positions. As a public body, the LTSA is authorized to collect personal information under section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA).