HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGER
Vancouver-based Ostara helps protect precious water resources by changing the way cities around the world manage excess nutrients, both in wastewater streams and due to fertilizer runoff. The company’s nutrient management solutions recover otherwise polluting nutrients, phosphorus and nitrogen, from municipal and industrial water streams, and transform them into a continuous-release, eco-friendly fertilizer marketed as Crystal Green®.
Due to the growth of the company, Ostara now requires a dedicated Human Resources Manager. In this newly created role, the successful candidate will work closely with a collaborative leadership team., You will be responsible for all activities related to employee relations, talent acquisition, employee retention, professional development, and engagement. You will act as a resource and provide guidance to senior leaders and managers and help them navigate staff management. You will also collaborate with hiring managers on determining and fulfilling requirements, including evaluating applications, and guiding the recruitment process directly or through suppliers and consultants. In addition, you will be responsible for reviewing current processes and recommending improvements as needed, including policy development and compensation and benefits reviews. Logistical support for remote managers and their employees will also be part of the mandate as the team expands to other geographic locations as well.
This stand-alone HR role requires a mature and adaptable HR leader who understands best practices, has a high level of initiative, has a strong work ethic, and displays common sense and good judgment. In addition, outstanding interpersonal, communication, and analytical skills are required. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual that is ready to take their experience to the next stage of their career.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
Reporting to the Vice President, Finance and working closely with the CEO and senior management group, the HR Manager is responsible for the following:
• Providing guidance to managers and leadership team on employee relations and HR matters in general
• Managing the recruitment and hiring process, from supporting managers in developing roles to conducting interviews and liaising with external consultants
• Supporting managers by helping to evaluate candidates, conduct screening interviews, lead follow-up interviews, as required
• Managing correspondence with candidates, extending offer letters and employment agreements developed in conjunction with our In-House Counsel
• Providing guidance and support to hiring managers in planning for and selecting talent that fits with the organization’s objectives
• Participating in assessing and implementing HR technologies that support process improvements; such as skills testing, applicant tracking, learning management
• Collaborating with managers to review, source and manage training and development initiatives to continue developing employees at all levels
• Managing the onboarding and offboarding of employees
• Developing, managing and implementing various company HR related policies and assisting other groups with policy development, including but not limited to: employee handbook, vacation management, time tracking, travel, overtime, sick days
• Assisting senior management with the overall Human Development strategy, then implementation and management of the strategy
• Leading employee benefit plan strategic decision making and analysis, working with brokers
• Leading the performance planning, coaching, and assessment process across the organization
• Providing advice to managers regarding performance management issues and terminations
• Other generalist duties as required
Education and Experience:
• Degree or Diploma in Human Resources Management, Organizational Development or related discipline
• CPHR designation or CPHR in progress is desirable
• Minimum of 7 – 10 years of HR experience, including stand alone HR roles
• Experience working in a small/medium sized engineering or technology organization preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledgeable and current in best practices for recruiting and talent management; always learning
• Ability to present confidently and professionally as an ambassador for the organization
• Ability to quickly develop an understanding of the organization’s business and culture
• Strong business acumen and judgment - able to effectively balance employee needs with competing business demands
• Strong technical aptitude, advanced skills in Word and Excel, and skilled at using HRIS and social recruitment tools
• Attuned to people and personalities and able to identify strong organizational fit
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain respectful and professional working relationships with varying personalities and diverse cultures at all levels of an organization domestically and internationally
• Independent and self-motivated while possessing the desire to work in a collaborative work environment
• Strong communication skills with ability to present professionally both orally and in writing
• Critical thinking skills - ability to assess situations objectively, apply good reasoning and make decisions independently
• Adaptable and flexible - ability to cope with ambiguity in an emerging and constantly changing environment
• Highly organized with ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a quick turnaround environment as well as delivering on longer-term projects
• Self-aware – understanding the impact of behaviours and actions on others, willingness to solicit and receive feedback, and motivated to improve.
To learn more about this exceptional career opportunity, submit your resume in confidence to Anna Shojania, Senior Partner at GO Recruitment via e-mail at email@example.com.